I recently signed up for a shared hosting package from Alpharacks which has the following specs:
Shared Hosting Special #1: - 15 GB Space - 200 GB Monthly Bandwidth - 1 Hosted Domain - Shared IP address - cPanel Control Panel - Softaculous Auto-Installer - LiteSpeed Web Server Powered - CloudLinux Optimized - DDoS Protection Included - Instantly Activated - $0.99/year (you read it right, 99 cents per year, price never goes up, there is no catch! Perfect plan for those looking to start a website) ORDER NOW
99 cents.. wow!
I'll be honest, my expectations are extremely low at this point. But for less than $1 what the heck, I'll try it out, even if I never use it.
After my experiences with Woothosting's cheap servers, I'm a little skeptical about anything cheap. So, the first thing I did was log into cPanel and look at the server stats.
Here's a screenshot:
- 21 load on an 8 core/thread server means it's about to go into meltdown.
- 40% memory usage is actually very reasonable.
- Swap is 100%... wait.. why are they swapping when there's plenty of RAM available.. hmm..
- The disk is 97% full (or is that 3% empty?)
- At least the tmp folders have room to breathe.
Okay, so we could pick on the server due to it's stats, but in practice that's not a reliable indicator of real world performance.
I have performed a few tests to see how it actually handles.
- I installed Wordpress (which is pretty resource hungry, exactly why I don't use it on this blog) and it actually works great! I have had no issues loading it up by installing themes and plugins galore. I didn't expect that to work as well as it did to be honest!
- The server seems to be hosted in LAX, which means I should be able to get a decent speed from here in Australia.
- I'm able to max out my 100mbit NBN connection both uploading AND downloading. Here's the test file I uploaded if you want to check it for yourself.
No complaints really, it actually seems stable!
I'm hosted on their "latitude" server, which seems to be dedicated to this particular cheap offer. I can see the server is well used (and abused) but it's solid. It actually defies logic.
For 99 cents a year it'd be an absolute bargain even at twice the price.
Would I host something critical like a business website? Probably not.. I would definitely recommend this for anyone who is running a small hobby site where potential downtime isn't an issue.
Compared with Woothosting, this is amazing. Check out my review of Woothosting's shared hosting for reference.
If you want to get in on this Alpharacks deal, click here.